Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Odd Trio

It's funny how my own sketches remind me of people or things after I've made the sketch. For example, the figure in the middle reminds me of the alien depicted on the movie posters for District 9 (boo!). And the guy on the right reminds me of Terri Schiavo. Both unintentional resemblances.

I've been bitching a lot lately about things I don't like. Well, here are some things I've been enjoying lately (for a change):
  • Joe Frank, known best for his often philosophical, humorous and sometimes absurd monologues and radio dramas. You can hear a bunch of clips for free in the podcasts section of iTunes. Or you can sign up as a member (for free) at his web site.
  • Mew, a Danish alternatative prog-rock group (songs are in English). You can listen to their albums for free through the LaLa player here and here. I particularly liked their song "New Terrain" for it's odd-sounding effects. I later found out that it sounds a little weird because it was made so it can be played backwards as a different song ("Nervous") with its own lyrics and melodies. Man, that's just crazy.
  • Infinite Jest, a novel that's over 1000 pages and contains a couple hundred pages of footnotes which in turn have their own foot notes. I haven't gotten too far into it yet but it involves ridiculously competitive tennis academies, drug addicts, and a video that entertains its viewers so thoroughly that it puts them into a catatonic state. The author has since killed himself. The author of the last book I enjoyed (A Confederacy of Dunces) also killed himself. I don't know what that says about me.
  • Webcomics like Underworld, Gunshow, Forming, Maakies, and Johnny Ryan's comics.
The graphic novel Local is getting on my good side, but I just started it so I can't vouch for it yet. So far the art is excellent and the stories are compelling.

Finally, the upcoming graphic novel The Squirrel Machine could also be a winner. The artwork looks great and it has the weirdness and creepiness (and perhaps a touch of humor?) that is exactly what I had in mind for my own graphic novel.

No comments: