Wednesday, May 5, 2010

There, There

 
I don't even know why I'm posting this. I guess I should explain why I haven't been posting comics at UltraCrispy lately. Well, there are two reasons: 1) I simply have less free time, and 2) the kind of comics I've been doing suddenly don't interest me anymore. I'm burned out on gag strips with little or no continuity. I feel like I ought to be saving my precious free time to work on something more lofty, like a graphic novel. I also have this urge to do something more original and innovative with my work. I'm tired of seeing the same old shit in the entertainment that I consume, and I feel the only way I'll find something new and orignal is to make it myself. Not that I have any ideas how to accomplish that. Well, with another kid on the way along with impending unemployment, making silly little drawings probably shouldn't be a priority of mine. I guess I can just keep posting tossed-off sketches like the one above. I don't seem to have a problem churning those out.

By the way, I doodled the sketch above in mere minutes, just as something to do while listening to a podcast. (Ahem, was I just complaining about a lack of free time?) I tend to draw incredibly slowly, so it was quite a feat for me. Maybe this fast, loose approach is the key to a more satisfying comic-making experience. We'll see.

No comments: